Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pac-12 FIP Constant

Hello people, I just thought I would give you and update on a project I'm working on, although I guess an update on a project you didn't know existed is more of an announcement of said project...

Anyways, what I've been up to (since this morning) is deriving a league constant for the Pac-12 to be used in the Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) formula. For those of you who don't know what FIP is or how it's calculated, I'll write up a post on it and share it here before I reveal my Pac-12 constant.

The constant used when determining the FIP for a MLB pitcher generally hovers around 3.2 (it changes every season). I've gotten through WSU and UW in my statistics compilation and as of now the constant is at 3.38. If I had to guess, I'd say it ends up being somewhere in the 3.30-3.35 range, let's see how close I get!

I should be done with the stats tonight and have a constant, but I'll write up that FIP post first, to give a little insight into the stat.

No comments:

Post a Comment