Since this is the first game recap, I'll let you know how I plan on running these now and in the future. Instead of writing some lengthy post on each game I'll quickly recap the game in a paragraph or two, then after that I'll list interesting plays, performances, and facts/stats in bullet form afterwards. So, on to the bullets!
- First off, Jason Monda, the freshman out of Olympia, had an impressive collegiate debut today going 3-3 with an RBI, a 3B, 2 R and a HBP in his final at bat in the 9th. Coach Marbut has said that he loves what he sees in Monda and so far I can see why.
- Interesting fact (via WSU Athletic Department): Greg Monda, father of Jason is the WSU career leader in AVG, at .369.
- Adam Conely came up big time for the Cougs, carrying a no hitter into the 6th before giving up consecutive hits and 2 runs in the inning. With 9 Ks in his 8 inning performance Conely pitched probably the best, and his longest, outing of his career.
- Conely struggled twice but in both situations was able to get clutch Ks to help him get out of jams, showing the ability to pitch himself out of a corner.
- Obviously I couldn't actually see any of the game, but Ard seemed to show why he was such a big hitting prospect coming into the year, although he only went 1-4 his one hit was an important 2 out double in the 4th. He went on to score the first WSU run of the season on a Matt Argyropoulos single.
- Colin Slaybaugh, Taylor Ard, and Jason Monda (all making their collegiate debuts) went 6-9 with 2 RBIs and 4 runs for the Cougs.
- Richie Ochoa got the save, pitching a 1-2-3 9th with 2 Ks.
Overall a great performance today from the Cougs to get the win with huge performances from the new kids. Next game is tomorrow with a 1 p.m. first pitch.